One day ahead of the recent 2017 SCAR Biology Symposium, APECS organized an early career scientist workshop for conference participants (and anyone else interested). Lovely weather, sci-comm, fabulous guests, … read further for some impressions.
Our overall schedule for the workshop on July 9th immediately prior to SCARBio17 is generally finalized. In the morning we will have exciting talks & time for questions with five invited speakers, in the afternoon we will proceed to a hands-on practice session. In between lunch will be provided. The workshop is centered on science communication and data management, which is interesting not only for biologists!
José Xavier (scientist at BAS & U. Coimbra):
“Polar Science, Education and Policy Making: the three major parts of the puzzle to be a young scientist today?”
Anne-Claire Bihan-Poudec (journalist at UPT):
“Sharing science through Exploration”
Siska Waelkens (science comm expert at KU Leuven):
“Scientists on the bridge – handling the gap between scientific complexity and low-threshold communication”
Stéphanie Brabant (journalist at Thalassa/France TV):
“How to communicate or explain science easily to journalists”
Grant Humphries (data scientist at Black Bawks):
“Scientific ibuprofen: Preventing headaches with data management”
Some registrations can still be accepted, make sure to be fast, if you haven’t signed up yet!
Apply until 30/05/2017 23:59 CEST
→ Faculty of Sciences
→ Department WE11 – Biology
→ AAP temporary appointment – 100%
→ 1 position(s)
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- At least 50% of your assignment will be spent on academic research on the diversity of microorganisms and their contribution to ecosystem functions in freshwater and terrestrial habitats in preparation of a doctoral dissertation.
- You will assist in the teaching activities at the department, such as in global change ecology, community and systems ecology, biodiversity of microalgae and protozoa, limnology and biogeography.
- You will assist in the internal and external services of the department.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a Master’s degree in Master of Science Biology, Marine Biodiversity and Conservation, Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management, or Bio-engineering or an equivalent degree. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You are interested in academic and/or project-based research and services and coaching students.
- Any teaching experience or participation in extra training, conferences, etc. is recommended.
- You have excellent teaching and communication skills in English and preferably also in Dutch.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a two-year appointment, which may be renewed twice for two years, on condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a junior assistant or doctoral fellow at a university within the Flemish Community, this appointment will be deducted from the maximum term of appointment, which is six years at the most according to the Codex of Higher Education.
- Your appointment will start on 1 October 2017 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP3. More information is available on our website.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 38 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits can be found on our website (in Dutch).
Apply online via this application before last application date (see above). Make sure you upload the following documents:
- application letter
- cv, including an overview of study results (merged into one file of maximum 5 MB)
- a transcript of the required degree (if you already have it)
- for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if you already have it)
We do not accept applications that are sent by e-mail or applications that lack (one of) the above-mentioned documents.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact prof. Elie Verleyen (email@example.com, + 32 9 264 96 29).
In the BelSPO funded MICROBIAN project (Microbiome diversity and function in the Sør Rondane Mountains, East Antarctica), coordinated by the Laboratory of Protistology and Aquatic Ecology, remote sensing analysis of soil crusts in a high latitude cold desert will be combined with field experiments and metagenomics studies to map their spatial distribution, community composition and metabolic capabilities. In addition, phylogenetic and physiological studies will be conducted on newly isolated bacteria and cyanobacteria, known to be present and highly abundant in the region from previous metagenomics analyses.
We are happy to announce that there are some budget accomodation options available during the SCAR Biology Symposium via the University of Leuven and APECS:
Low fares accommodations will be provided by KU Leuven to participants of the SCAR Symposium, with availability going from Saturday 8th July to Saturday 15th July.
Booking is only possible for the full week. You can leave earlier if you want but you will still pay the full amount. Key arrangements will be organized by APECS Belgium members.
Number of rooms are limited, so please provide the following information to justify your demand:
1) Are you presenting either a poster or talk at the symposium? If so please provide the title.
2) Please provide a few sentences on why you require these student rate accommodations.
Write to: firstname.lastname@example.org
More information about the available options can be found here.